IRAQ - Documentation and Restoration Investigation of Al - Hadba Minaret, Mosul

 al hadb tab

Address:
Al-Hadba Minaret, Mosul, Iraq
Description of work: The project for the provision of documentation and restoration investigation
Investor: Czech Government Program - Reconstruction of cultural heritage in Iraq and the help of the Czech Republic 
Contractor:
GEMA ART GROUP a.s.
Implementation:
2004 - 2006

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PHOTOGALLERY:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The project for the provision of documentation and restoration investigation for restoration of the Al-Hadba minaret – aid for the preservation of the architectonic cultural heritage of Iraq The Al-Hadba minaret is the last existing part of the first mosque in Mosul constructed by Utba bin Farqad Al-Salamim in 640 AD. It is has a slanting brick construction and a height of 52m.

The leaning minaret in Mosul known as al-Hadba is part of the big Nuri mosque (Jami al-Nuri), which was commissioned by the Turkish ruler Nuruddin Zangi to be built between 1170 and 1172. The height of the minaret reaches 59 m and deviation from its axis is 2.44 m. The minaret is part of a mosque and madras (religious school) complex, which was destroyed in 1942 and rebuilt based on a new project designed by the Iraq landmark authorities. The minaret stands on elongated stone foundations 15.5 m high and 8.8 m deep. The minaret was damaged in 1796 by lightning and its upper part including the walkway was completed in 1925.
In the framework of the project to preserve the Al-Hadba minaret it was only possible to perform a limited scope of work due to the unsatisfactory security situation in this area where the military conflict arised again in late 2006. The authors strived in vain to gain samples of the monument to be used for the planning of further work. Works were therefore focused on the historical studies covering the necessary planning documentation, photographic documentation and scientific literature related to the static determination of the building and restoration and/or conservation procedures from the past.