Garden Wall of the Museum of Decorative Arts Complex, Praha - Old Town, Czech Republic

This smaller scope contract involved an expert dismantling of the garden wall originating from 1940 in the complex of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague. The wall was designed by two distinguished architects of that time, Ladislav Machoň and his wife Augusta Müllerová-Machoňová. The museum garden, landscaped as part of the presentation of the development of Czech architecture between 1900 and 1940 on the occasion of the exhibition "The New Architecture", was a unique project of its time.
As the garden wall was in a derelict state and had partially collapsed, it had to be expertly dismantled and its individual bricks recorded so that it could be subsequently rebuilt using the original material as part of the overall future restoration of the garden.

Read more...

Cathedral of Saint Barbara, Kutná Hora, Czech Republic

The aim of the project is to preserve and to restore this Gothic monument listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Cultural site . The company GEMA ART GROUP a. s. has during the past nine years carried out restorations and architectural work at this site, employing highly skilled craftsmen and artisans. The company participated in all five phases of the restoration project which took place between 2003 and 2012 and considers the work to be one of its most prestigious commissions, both in scope and the demand on expertise, and because of the unique historic and cultural significance of this monument.

Read more...

Sklenářka Farmstead, Prague - Trója, Czech Republic

The farmstead called "Sklenářka", built amidst the vineyards on the slopes of what is today the Prague District of Trója, can be, thanks to its location, seen from a distance. It was in the past commonly referred to as "Katovna" (Executioner's house). Since the 1990s the property has been in the ownership of the Zoological Garden of the Capital city of Prague. Because it was in a poor state of repair the decision was taken to completely renovate the building. In July 2011 the company GEMA ART GROUP a.s. was chosen as the main contractor for the building and restoration work, which commenced in August 2011 and is scheduled for completion on 30th June 2012.

Read more...

Castle Týnec near Klatovy, Czech Republic

Castle Týnec in Klatovy region is one of the largest High Baroque buildings in the Czech Republic. The imposing two-storey structure features a cylindrical risalit and a protruding portico over the main entrance. The Baroque structure was built in the early 18th century during the era of Maximilian Norbert Kolovrat – Krakovský, a member of one of the most influential aristocratic families in the Czech lands. He held the position of the President of the Court of Appeal and the High Chamberlain and was also the owner of a paper manufacture works in the town of Janovice. His new residence was thus expected to reflect his high standing in society.

Read more...

Church of St Constantine and St Methodius, Resslova Street, Prague – New Town, Czech Republic

The repair of the Greek Orthodox Church of St Constantine and St Methodius is one of GEMA ART GROUP's shared contracts. The location has a rich history, going back to early medieval times. Prince Bořivoj I commissioned around the year 883 the erection on this site of a church dedicated to St Methodius, who christened both him and his wife Ludmila in the Great Moravian Velehrad.

Read more...

Municipal House, Prague - Old Town, Czech Republic

Prague Municipal House, product of a collaboration between renowned architects and artists of the turn of the 19th and 20th century, is one of the most beautiful examples of the Art Nouveau (Secession) style in the Czech Republic. Today's Municipal House and King's Court Hotel stand on what was the site of The Royal Palace, which had been the temporary seat of sovereign power from 1380. The location was chosen by King Wenceslas IV (1378 – 1419), who did not consider Prague Castle suitable for his needs. The Palace was also favoured by some of his successors, namely his younger brother Sigismund of Luxembourg and King George of Poděbrady. Only during the reign of the Polish Jagiellon dynasty (1471 – 1526) has Prague Castle again become the centre of royal authority. 

Read more...

Michna Summerhouse (Villa “America”), Prague - New Town, Czech Republic

Villa "Amerika", also known as the Michna Summerhouse, designed by the famous architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer, is one of the earliest examples of the Baroque architectonic style in Prague. The plot of land on which it stands is situated in the Prague New Town and belonged to the Hrneček family, who had a small house and a vineyard there. It was purchased in 1715 by one of the most powerful men in Prague, Count Jan Václav Michna of Vacínov.

Read more...

Jesuit “Professi” House, Prague - Malá Strana, Czech Republic

The complex of the original Jesuit monastery for higher placed members of the order's hierarchy (Professi) had already been partially reconstructed between the years 2005 and 2007. The building and restoration work then mostly involved the renovation of the interior. The company GEMA ART GROUP a.s. was a main contractor for the restoration and craft and artisan work. The current project concerns tasks involved in the reconstruction of the historic façade, which commenced on 16th April 2012. 

Read more...

Castle Ohrada in Hluboká nad Vltavou, Czech Republic

Castle Ohrada, situated two kilometres from the town of Hluboká nad Vltavou, was built between the years 1708 and 1713 by the local landowner Adam František Schwarzenberg as a centre for hunting with hounds and various festivities attached to the hunting events. The design of the castle was the work of the Baroque architect Pavel Ignác Bayer, who also participated in the rebuilding of the renowned Castle Hluboká nearby. 

Read more...

Brandejs Homestead, Prague - Suchdol, Czech Republic

Brandejs Homestead, sometimes called Suchdol Stately House, dominates the Prague District of Suchdol. The origins of the building probably go back to the middle of the 10th century, when on its site stood a local landowner's dwelling house, first mentioned in written documents in 1045. The fortified dwelling complex was the prince's stop-over point on the route between the Přemyslid stronghold at Levý Hradec and their newly built establishment on the Žiži Hill, where now the stands the Prague Castle.

Read more...