Jesuit “Professi” House, Prague - Malá Strana, Czech Republic

 6  jezuitsky profesni dum

Address:
Budova Matematicko-fyzikální fakulty UK, Malostranské náměstí 25, Praha
Description of work
Restoration survey
Technical building documentation
Repair of the historic façade
Modifications to window escutcheons
Stucco work
Investor: 
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague
Contractor:
GEMA ART GROUP a.s.
Implementation:
04/-10/2012

 

 The complex of the original Jesuit monastery for higher placed members of the order's hierarchy (Professi) had already been partially reconstructed between the years 2005 and 2007. The building and restoration work then mostly involved the renovation of the interior. The company GEMA ART GROUP a.s. was a main contractor for the restoration and craft and artisan work. The current project concerns tasks involved in the reconstruction of the historic façade, which commenced on 16th April 2012.

The general reconstruction had been divided into several stages, which comprise a restoration survey, stucco work, expert repairs of stone elements and various plumbing, installation and refitting tasks. The renovation of the façade follows the removal of the unsuitable layer of plastering applied within the framework of the previous reconstruction. Apart from the actual renovation, additional means of surface protection will be put in place, such as a hydrophobic treatment and application of insect and pigeon repellents.
The Jesuit "Professi" House, an important cultural monument of Central Prague, was built between the years 1676 and 1690. The extensive three wing building with an enclosed square courtyard was designed by the architects Domenico Orsi de Orsini and Francesco Caratti in a comparatively austere style. The then Superior General of the Order, Giovanni Paolo Oliva, wished to avoid the impression of pomposity inherent in the Jesuit Clementinum College, built in 1653. Minor changes in the design of the "Professi" House took place after the death of the chief architect Orsini, who was replaced by Francesco Lurago. After the Jesuit Order was abolished in 1773 the premises of the house had been used for various administrative purposes and from 1784 the Gubernial archive was located there following several building alterations. During the 19th century and 20th century the complex housed in succession the High Court of Justice of the Land, the Central State Treasury and the Directorate of Finance. During the German occupation in World War II the building was taken over by the soldiers of the Wehrmacht. Since the 1960s the "Professi" House has been used by the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics of Charles University.
The completion of the building work on the exterior of the house is planned for 24th October 2012.