Castle Týnec near Klatovy, Czech Republic

 hlavni tynec

Address: Zámek Týnec č. p. 1, Týnec u Janovic nad Úhlavou
Description of work:
Restoration work
Contractor:
GEMA ART GROUP a.s.
Implementation: 2011 - 12

 

 
PHOTOGALLERY:
Overall view of the castle - before reconstruction Overall view of the castle - work in progress Work in progress The gazebo - before restoration Drawing of the castle - south view Drawing of the castle - east view

Castle Týnec in Klatovy region is one of the largest High Baroque buildings in the Czech Republic. The imposing two-storey structure features a cylindrical risalit and a protruding portico over the main entrance. The Baroque structure was built in the early 18th century during the era of Maximilian Norbert Kolovrat – Krakovský, a member of one of the most influential aristocratic families in the Czech lands. He held the position of the President of the Court of Appeal and the High Chamberlain and was also the owner of a paper manufacture works in the town of Janovice. His new residence was thus expected to reflect his high standing in society.

It is highly likely that the castle was built according to plans by the Italian architect Giovanni Battista Alliprandi, designer of such prominent Baroque monuments as the Sternberg Palace at Prague Hradčany, the sanatorium and hospice complex in Kuks and Castle Veltrusy. In the past the authorship of the Castle Týnec had sometimes been ascribed to Jakub Augusta, an architect known to have worked in Western Bohemia, but results of newer research, endorsed by the leading expert on Bohemian Baroque Art Prof. Mojmír Horyna, CSc., PhDr, confirm Alliprandi as the architect responsible. The extensive premises of the castle only became habitable during the lifetime of Jan Josef Kolovrat – Krakovský, son of Maximilian Norbert, and the ostentatious building was not completed during the time of the Kolovrat family ownership. While the east wing was temporarily arranged for occupation, the west part remained unfinished until 1927, when Jindřich Kolovrat – Krakovský sold the castle to Jaroslav Josef Polívka.
This renowned engineer was best known for his patents in the area of static load testing of building structures. After spending considerable amounts of money on the reconstruction of the castle, Jaroslav Polívka and his wife Irena converted the building into a luxury 40-room hotel, which was officially opened on 1st May 1928. Well known personalities such as Alfons Mucha, songwriter Karel Hašler and the daughter of the president, Alice Masaryková, featured on the guest list. During the economic crash of the 1929 Depression the hotel went bankrupt and the main creditor, the Velvary Savings Bank, assumed ownership. In 1937 the castle was converted into an orphanage, which remained there until its relocation to Karlovy Vary in 1951. The vacated premises were then used by the Czechoslovak Army. After the Velvet Revolution of 1989 the castle was purchased by the company VAKAM s.r.o. Their initial intention was to return the building to its use as an upmarket hotel and to that aim some entirely unsuitable work was carried out on the historic roof frame, which was replaced by a steel construction and covered by asphalt shingles. The plans for the hotel progressed no further and the building was put up for auction in 1995. Four years later the castle was purchased by Jan Pelánek, a collector and patron of arts, who intends to establish a cultural and artistic centre there. Due to the high cost of the repairs, the progress of the project has been slow. The funds come mainly from Mr Pelánek's private financial resources, with contributions from the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic and the Plzeň Region.
The conversion of the castle into a gallery and a centre for culture and arts is at present in its final stages. The complex will also have an educational centre, which will focus on architecture and care of historic monuments. The company GEMA ART GROUP a.s. has been involved in the project since 2011. Reconstruction work took place on the ground level of the east wing, the second floor and the attic. The final finishing will involve the colouring of the Venetian plasters, the floor parquetting, the flap pan tiling of the roof, renovation of the façade and rewiring. The immediate surroundings of the castle will require landscaping, work on the perimeter wall and installation of lighting. A sports and leisure facility is also planned within the area of the castle parkland. It will have a play castle for children, trampolines, table tennis tables, skittles and a cycling track. The original castle summer house will also be renovated. The completion of all building work is scheduled for 2013.