Synagogue and house of the rabbi in Brandýs upon Elbe, Czech Republic

 tabulka brandys

Address:
Židovská synagoga a rabínský dům,Na Potoce 140, 250 01 Brandýs nad Labem
Description of work:
Restoration work
Investor:
10 stars – Revitalization of Jewish monuments in the Czech Republic
Contractor:
GEMA ART GROUP a. s.
Implementation: 2011-2014

 

 The synagogue, which is interconnected with the house of the rabbi, is located in the street "Na Potoce" near the town centre. It was built during the years 1828 and 1829. A Jewish congregation had already been established in the town of Brandýs nad Labem in the early 16th century and the original synagogue, entirely destroyed by an extensive fire, was founded in 1515. It was replaced by a new synagogue in 1657 but the building met the same fate as its predecessor 130 years later.

On its site was built the current Classicist style complex of the synagogue and the rabbi's house. It served its purpose until the establishment of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia in 1939. After World War II the building was used as a warehouse for pharmaceuticals. It was returned to the Jewish congregation in 1995 and served thereafter as a depository of the Jewish museum in Prague.
The complex has two parts: the rabbi's living quarters and the synagogue. The original division of the building has been with minor exception well preserved and any demolition work were kept to an absolute minimum. The wiring, the non-original flooring and modern doors and windows were removed and the latter three were replaced with historically appropriate replicas. As part of the work carried out by GEMA ART GROUP a. s. the roof were also repaired and the recent extension on the east side of the house demolished. The façade was completely reconstructed. The plastering was first subjected to restoration research and later coats of paint, which did not respect the original architectonic structuring, were removed.
Restoration work were also included the tympanum over the stone portal, which bears a marble plaque with a quotation from the Book of Psalms. The original interior furnishings had not survived but wall painting are still in place and were also the subject of restoration.
The aim of this building and restoration work, which were part of the project "Revitalization of Jewish Monuments in the Czech Republic", were to created on the site a permanent exhibition "Sources of Judaism". The exhibition provided visitors with information on literary sources of medieval and early modern rabbinic Judaism and the history of the local Jewish community.

 PHOTOGALLERY:
Overall view of the house of the rabbi House of rabbi - work in progress Synagogue in Brandýs - work in progress Interior of the synagogue - work in progress The Roof - before reconstruction Reconstruction of the roof Reconstruction of the wall Work in progress Work in progress Work in progress Work in progress Interior of the synagogue

GRAND OPENING OF THE SYNAGOGUE - 10.6. 2014:

  Grand opening of synagogue - 10.6. 2014 Grand opening of the synagogue - 10.6. 2014 Main entrance Extract from the Book of Psalms Information board for the project Ten stars Back part of the synagogue Back part of the synagogue with garden Back part of the synagogue with garden Back part of the synagogue Facilities for workers and cash desk for visitors The exhibition Sources of Judaism Original flat of rabbi Rabbi house - after reconstruction Ladies gallery in the synagogue Ladies gallery in the synagogue Ladies gallery in the synagogue Ladies gallery in the synagogue - original marbled paint on the walls Ladies gallery in the synagogue Original marbled paint on the walls - after restoration Original chandelier Original chandelier - after reconstruction and restoration Columns with marbled painting Aron ha Kodesh - after restoration Synagogue - interior after reconstruction Aron ha Kodesh Jewish musicians - Jiří Hošek and Dominika Wiess Hošková (piece for two cellos) Welcome from Anchorman and secretary of the Federation of Jewish Communities - Tomáš Kraus Speech of the President of Federation of Jewish Communities in Czech Republic (Petr Papoušek) Speech of Rabbi Karol Sidon Mayor of Brandýs nad Labem Mayor of Brandýs nad Labem: Ondřej Přenosil Deputy Minister of Ministry for Regional Development - Daniel Braun Deputy minister of Ministry of Culture - Miroslav Rovenský Deputy minister of Ministry of Culture - Miroslav Rovenský Lead project manager - Jan Kindermann Lead project manager - Jan Kindermann Speech of representative works contractors - Jan Soukup (Atelieur Soukup) Final oration of restorer Tomáš Rafl Final oration of restorer Tomáš Rafl Grand opening of the synagogue - 10.6. 2014 Grand opening of the synagogue - 10.6. 2014 Jewish music - piece for two cellos: Dominika Weiss Hošková and Jiří Hošek