Flower Garden in Kroměříž, Czech Republic

kromeriz tabulka

Address: Květná zahrada, gen. Svobody 1192, 761 01 Kroměříž
Description of work:
Restoration of statues of the Roman gods Diana and Neptun
Restoration of historical stone elements
Supply and installation of all stone elements
Building of new reservoir in the 17 th centrury fashion
Investor:
National Heritage Institute, Prague
Contractor: GEMA ART GROUP a.s.
Implementation: 12/2012 - 04/2014

 

 

  Stone balustrade around the Bird-house Overall view of the fountain replica and the newly restored statue of Neptune Trout Pond restored to its original appearance Stone balustrade Bird-house Installation - work in progress Trout Pond restored to its original appearance

  • History
  • Restoration work
  • More information

The unique complex of the Archbishop's Château and the Château and Floral Gardens was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List already in 1998. The Baroque Floral Garden was built between 1665 and 1675 by Karel II of Lichtejnštejn-Kastelkorn, the then bishop of Olomouc.
The garden's dominant features are the rotund decorated with rich interior stuccos and the 244-metre long colonnade with numerous alcoves.
The garden includes a sophisticated water supply system which feeds into lakes, waterworks, fountains, and ponds in which carps and trout were bred. The 18th century saw the founding of the special Orange Garden where citrus fruits were grown and the Dutch Garden for growing tulips and narcissus flowers.
Further construction modifications were made between 1840 and 1845. In this period, the city of Kroměříž grew and spread beyond the city walls and therefore the access to the Floral Garden from the city centre had to be added. The new entrance is preserved to this day and its tympanum with the gold-plated archbishop's coat of arms in the middle draws immediate attention. The aim of the restoration in which GEMA ART GROUP a.s. participated as a sub-contractor was to restore the garden to its original 17th and 18th century appearance.                                                                                                                                                       

Restoration of the stone elements:
Restoration work involved historical stone elements. These included the baroque balustrade around the courtyard, individual stone elements on the exterior of the entrance building, stone pools and stone parapets in the individual greenhouses.
The stone elements were cleaned and strengthened with organosilicon compounds; broken-off parts were re-moulded. The missing joints were filled with suitable sealants. The surface colours were smoothed out and the surface was hydrophobised. Before cleaning, the historical balustrade was pre-consolidated in the areas surrounding metal parts.
Historical stone elements Close-up of a jamb Close-up of a stone pool Close-up of a stone pool Restoration of the stone parapets in the greenhouse Close-up of a jamb Conditions of the windows in the greenhouse – before restoration Condition of the windows and parapets – after restoration Stone pediment – condition before restoration Course of restoration Close-up of the acroterion – before restoration Historical stone details on the entrance building – the course of restoration Close-up of the acroterion – before restoration Stone pediment – condition before restoration Close-up of the historical railing in the Floral Garden courtyard – condition before restoration Close-up of the historical railing in the Floral Garden court-yard – the course of restoration Overall view of the stone balustrade – the course of the works Overall view of the stone balustrade – condition before restoration
Restoration of the statues of Diana and Neptune:
The statue of the Roman goddess of hunt was made in the 1770s; it is situated on the "Rabbit Hill", an artificial hill with a network of rabbit tunnels.
The statue was covered with a thick crust; overall decay of the surface layer was showing especially in fine details. The material suffered from the loss of cohesion and there were a number of cracks in the rear parts of the statue of Diana and also in the head area. The restorers aimed to significantly reduce the effect of the outside environment on the ageing of the statue. The crusts were removed using microjet cleaning with alumosilicate abrasives. Consolidation of the stone material and restoration works on the missing parts followed. Final hydrophobisation and smoothing out of colours also had to be performed.
The statue of Neptune, the Roman god of the seas, was situated on top of a stone fountain. Comprehensive restoration work was performed on the statue already in 2000, therefore only minor works were involved. Cleaning was done by hand. This was followed by the introduction of organosilicate strengthening agents and minor treatments with mineral sealants, colour retouch and hydrophobisation. The statue was fixed on the fountain with chromium-nickel pegs.
The statue of Neptune – condition after restoration The statue of Diana before restoration Overall view of the fountain replica and the newly restored statue of Neptune Historical appearance of the baroque fountain with the statue of Neptune Overall view of the fountain replica and the newly restored statue of Neptune Before restoration After restoration After restoration Rabbit Hill with the statue of Diana – original appearance Rabbit Hill with the statue of Diana – condition after restoration The statue of Diana – condition before restoration Close-up of a crack on the face of the statue of Diana – the course of the works Installation of the sculpture at the Rabbit Hill Rabbit Hill – the course of the works Rabbit Hill – the course of the works Condition of the sculpture after restoration Condition of the sculpture after restoration – rear part
Supply and installation of stone elements:
The works carried out by GEMA ART GROUP a.s. consisted in the supply and comprehensive installation of stone elements replicas in the whole complex of the Floral Garden. This included the restoration of the Trout Pond – the construction of the reservoir, installation of a stone stairway and the balustrade railings. The works aimed to restore the garden to its original state as depicted on a surviving 17th century engraving.
The garden house and the fowler's house underwent a refurbishment of the stone portals, jambs and window sills. The Bird-house received a new stone balustrade, birdbath, stairway, window sills and stone paving on the bridge and in the area around the Bird-house.
The garden courtyard also underwent complete reconstruction; a natural stone paving was added and the concrete stairways and ramp were restored.
After reconstruction Detail Newly made fountain with a baroque statue of Neptune Installation of the stone railing at the greenhouse terrace Close-up of a stone element Laying down stone paving on the bridge to the Bird-house Stone balustrade around the Bird-house Installation of the stone balustrade around the Bird-house Trout Pond restored to its original appearance Trout Pond – condition shortly before completion and filling up the reservoir