National Heritage Institute, Žebrák and Točník Administration
|Descripiton of work:|| |
Preservation and construction work
National Heritage Institute
|Contractor:||GEMA ART GROUP a.s.|
The castle Točník was built between 1395 and 1398 by King Václav IV at Zámecká hora (which has seen settlement already in the Hallstatt Period), at the upper end of the same stone ridge where, near its lower end, the castle Žebrák had been located before. The castles are situated above the municipality of Točník, near the town of Žebrák.
After the castle Žebrák was destroyed by fire, King Václav IV decided not to rebuild it but rather construct a new castle nearby. After the king’s death, his brother Sigismund pledged the castle to the House of Seinsheim and subsequently to the House of Kolowrat; after several more exchanges of the holders, the castle Točník returned to the Crown during the reign of Rudolph II. However, the Emperor did not actively use the castle and so it became a refuge for the local populace during the Thirty Years’ War. In 1923, the last castle holder, Josef Colloredo-Mansfeld, sold the ruins of both castles to the Czech Tourist Club.