Conservation and restoration of metal elements in a waste water treatment plant, Prague
|Address:||Papírenská 199/33, Praha 6|
|Description of work:||Restoration work|
|Investor:||Muzeum Stará čistírna o.p.s. (Old Treatment Plant Museum, benevolent society)|
|Contractor:||GEMA ART GROUP a.s.|
The flooding in 2013 caused damage to the building of the Old Waste Water Treatment Plant in Bubeneč, especially to the underground engineering premises of the plant and its equipment, parts and accessories. The works are funded from the “Preservation and restoration of cultural monuments damaged by natural disasters” programme.
The complex of the Old Treatment Plant was declared a heritage site in 1991, and in 2010 it was listed as a national cultural monument. The complex had functioned as a waste water treatment plant until 1967 when a new mechanical biological treatment plant at Císařský ostrov opened. The Old Treatment Plant was built based on the design by William Heerlein Lindley and it was completed in 1906. The ongoing restoration works focus on metal elements such as sluice-gates, hand-rail smithwork, pumping structures, air-handling gears, transmissions, boilers and metal walkways as well as on restoration of the reinforced concrete elements of the sand catcher and sedimentation tanks.